At the foot of a desolate hill in old part of town, this is one of India's most important places for Muslim pilgrims. The Dargah is the Sufi saint, Khawaja Muin-uddin Chishti, who came to Ajmer from Persia in 1192. Construction of the Shrine was complete by Humayun and the gate was added by the Nizam of Hyderabad. Akbar used to make the pilgrimage to the Dargah from Agra once a year. You have to cover your head in certain areas so don't forget to take a scarf or caps. The saint's tomb is in the centre of the second court, it has a marble dome and the actual tomb inside is surrounded by a silver platform. The horseshoes nailed to the shrine doors are offerings from successful horse dealers! Beware of 'guides' pestering for donations around the Dargah using the standard fake donation books or 'visitor register' you'll have to pay a generous donation if you sign up. The tome attracts hundreds of thousands of pilgrims every year on the anniversary of the saint's death, the Urs, in the seventh month of the lunar calendar. It's an interesting festival, but the crowds can be suffocating. As well as the pilgrims, Sufis from all over India converge on Ajmer.
This artificial lake was created in the 12th century by damming the River Luni. On its bank is a pleasant park, the Daulat Bagh, containing a series of marble pavilions erected in 1637 by Shah Jahan. There are fine views from the hill beside the Daulat Bagh. Another reservoir Foy Sagar was constructed in 1891-1892 A.D. by the Ajmer Municipal Committee. Foy was the Executive Engineer in-charge of the project.
A remarkable structure, this is a masterpiece of indo - Islamic architecture located on the outskirts of the city, just beyond the Dargah As the legend goes, its construction took two and a half days (Adhai-Din) to complete. It was originally a Sanskrit college, built within a temple. In 1193 A.D., Mohammed Ghauri conquered Ajmer and converted the building into a mosque by adding a seven arched wall in front of the pillared hall in just two-and-half days (adhai-din) and hence the name. The distinct pillars and arched "Screen" with its ruined minarets make it a splendid architectural masterpiece.
Taragarh, also known as Garh Beetli, is a circumvallation of the crest of the hill which overhangs the town of Ajmer and commands a view of it from every point. The principal strength of the fort lies in the ruggedness and acclivity of the hill. The space within the walls of this hill fort was about 32 hectares with several tanks. From 1818 to 1832 A.D., a company of Native Infantry occupied it, but the fort was dismantled in 1832 A.D., from 1860 to 1920 A.D., other accommodation on the hill was used as the sanitarium for the European troops stationed at Nasirabad. It is now in a dilapidated and forlorn state though the hill still commands a majestic view.
lord Mayo, the Viceroy of India, in a Darbar held in 1870 A.D. at Ajmer, which was attended by several ruling princess of States of Rajputana, placed before them a proposal to set up an institution at Ajmer for the education of princess and sons of nobility. Its foundation stone was laid in 1878 A.D. and its building, constructed in white marble in Indo Saracenic style, was inaugurated by the Maruis of Dufferin, in 1885 A.D. Sometimes known as the Eton of India, the institution had the distinction of enrolling several ruling princes, not only from Rajputana States, But from outside as well. It is now open to all sections of society and is still one of the best schools in the country.
Pushkar Lake, considered to be sacred is said to cleanse sins and cure skin diseases with a dip. It is located in the town of Pushkar in Ajmer district and is the sacred lake of the Hindus. Historical significance of the lake is evident from the fact that it finds it’s mention on coins as early as the 4th century BC. Surrounded by 52 bathing ghats, the lake has been described by Hindu scriptures as 'Tirtha-Raj', meaning 'the king of pilgrimage sights'.
Built by Emperor Akbar, the elegant citadel better known as Akbar's Palace and Museum is a popular tourist destination. This was the meting place of Jahangir and Sir Thomas Roe, the English Ambassador to the Mughal court.
Brahma Temple lies nestled in the Pushkar valley. Situated beyond Naga Parbat and the Ana Sagar Lake, the site is considered extremely sacrosanct. It’s stature stems from the belief that Lord Brahma, together with all the gods and goddesses performed a Yagna at this site. Folklore legends also point to the belief that the ancient lake had appeared miraculously when a lotus fell from the hands of Lord Brahma and dropped into the valley.
Archaeological Museum was established in 1949. Located in the Dil-e-Aaram Gardens of Ajmer, the museum is divided into three sections. Comprising a collection of sculptures and some excavated material of earlier civilisations, the museum features two 'Yupa Pillars' (sacrificial posts). These are adorned with inscriptions from Barnala as well as Prathihara sculptures of the 8th century and terracotta belonging to early historical periods.